On July 12, 2016, the Montgomery County Council voted unanimously to approve the supplemental appropriation of funds (raised by the Somerset Foundation and Somerset PTA) for the Somerset Field Renovation project. Thank you to everyone in the Somerset ES community for helping bring us to this final approval!
MCPS quickly mobilized the project after this approval, with a keen understanding of the importance of doing the bulk of the construction work while school is out of session to minimize the impact on the students, staff and neighbors.
Construction on the new turf field is already underway! Demolition and installation of sediment and erosion control measures are complete, and work on the underlying stormwater management infrastructure is expected to start by the end of the week.
As construction will still be in progress at the start of the 2016-2017 school year, please keep a lookout for information on drop-off procedures, etc. If all goes smoothly, the construction will only impact the first few weeks of school. And then we will have our brand new field!
If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org. This email will be monitored by the Somerset Foundation and the PTA. We will answer questions as quickly as possible.
The Turf Field is in the works! We have met our fundraising goal thanks to the generosity of this entire community. Thank you all! This was a huge effort and we appreciate everyone’s hard work.
On June 14th, the Board of Education gave the green light to the construction phase, and all necessary permits have been secured. We hope to have approval from the County Council in July, which would allow construction to begin later that month. We will be sending out status updates throughout the summer. We hope that construction will be underway when our kids return to school in the fall. We don’t yet know what the logistics will be during the construction phase so please watch for email communications from the Somerset listserv for more information.* If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to email email@example.com. This email will be monitored by the Somerset Foundation and the PTA. We will answer questions as quickly as possible.
We look forward to sending you updates and information, and to having a brand new field soon!
Somerset Elementary School Foundation & Somerset PTA
*If you are a Somerset Elementary parent and not on the Somerset school listserv and wish to be added, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Spring Fiesta brought together over 140 Somerset ES parents and school staff on May 21st to enjoy a fun evening of light appetizers, cool drinks and festive music! Not only was a good time had by all, but the event raised over $13k for our school foundation!
Thank you to all who attended and contributed to the success, with special thanks to:
- Anna Deeny and Greg Locraft, who were incredibly gracious hosts and shared their stunning home.
- Nancy Kadowitz who led the party planning effort and all members of the team: Liz O’Donnell, Elaine Akst, Anna Deeny, and Anne Hawkins.
- Liz O’Donnell and Tracy Jeffcott who organized the silent auction, as well as all of the teachers and parents who were so generous in donating the auction items, and all the parents who bid on the items. The auction alone raised close to $6k!
- Phyllis and Jonathan Wiesenfelder, Long & Foster Real Estate who were the lead sponsors of the party.
- The team of Westland Middle School students who helped throughout the evening.
- And all the members of the Somerset Foundation Board who contributed the sangria, beer & wine and together co-hosted the evening.
- FIELD DONATIONS NOW TOTAL 80%. Thanks to the generosity of current and past Somerset Elementary families, neighborhood associations, local realtors and businesses, 80% of the target $550k has now been pledged or donated! But in order to break ground this summer, YOUR DONATION is needed by December 31.
- SPECIAL PTA FUNDRAISING MATCH: To help us get us to the end zone, the Somerset PTA is pledging an additional $25,000 — for a December donor match. Every new dollar that is given, up to $25,000, will be matched by PTA funds. Every donor and every dollar matters. Give any amount and get matched.
- DECEMBER 1, 2015 – #givingTuesday – is the BEST day to donate to the Play It Forward field campaign! On this day ONLY, all online donations to the campaign will be topped up by our online processing company, Network for Good. All you need to do to take advantage of this special bonus is to click on the DONATE NOW button on your right and donate on December 1st!
- COME TO AN EVENT:
– Personal Finance Session for Kids and Adults on Saturday, December 5th from 4-6:30pm. Buy your tickets now.
– Plan to have dinner at Chipotle on Monday, December 7th and present this flyer.
THANK YOU to all families who have contributed, hosted events, attended events or shown your support in any and every way! HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!